?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Peter Tatchell writes on The Independent's blogs today:

Will next week's US presidential vote be free and fair? Based on the conduct of the last election, possibly not. The 2004 election was marred by vote-fixing that would disgrace a banana republic. Four years later, few new safeguards have been implemented to prevent a re-run of the voter exclusion and ballot tampering of 2004.

This is the conclusion of Robert F Kennedy Jr, civil rights lawyer and nephew of JFK. In one of the most important pieces of investigative journalism in recent years, published in Rolling Stone magazine in 2006, he revealed how voting irregularities in 2004 were enough to steal the presidency for the Republicans. You can read his meticulous 14,000-word expose here. It is essential reading for everyone who cares about the fate of US democracy. Read more.

Question: Do you worry for the integrity of the election?

Comments

( Comment )
elfgrove wrote:
Oct. 27th, 2008 08:17 pm (UTC)
Re: Not just the Republicans
"The problem is, just because both sides have a story doesn't mean they should both be described or heard. [...]I find it easy to decide which side ought to be heard."

In a "free country", I find that to be a rather horrifying statement.
Gods forbid someone hear all sides and make thier decisions given all the information. Educated voters, would that be such a travesty?

I'm not agruing for a moment that either side is innocent, but I do think it's naive to think ether side is more innocent than the other.
Trying to prevent voter registration is horrible, but so is intentionally making illegal registrations. There are documernted cases of dead people and convicts "voting" and that is "demonstrable election-day fraud" in the same way as vote switching with electronic voting machines. Both are horrible practices. Although, having worked in a tech field, I expect some (by no means all) of it may be a result of user error. Some people do the most ridiculous-seeming things when put in front of a terminal.

I think the rest of the world is going to vary as far as being conservative or liberal. Countries with a stronger involvement of religion or older social stigmas in politics are likely to be more conservative. Many middle eastern countries, China, Japan, and Korea are likely to tend towards a more conservative attitude -- at least socially. As I said, not the whole world. Expand your horizons outside the European Union a little. Although to define things as either a political "Liberal" or "Conservative" is probably trying to apply some rather American definitions of words to countries that operate with a very different mindset.
brennakimi wrote:
Oct. 27th, 2008 08:20 pm (UTC)
Re: Not just the Republicans
"The problem is, just because both sides have a story doesn't mean they should both be described or heard. [...]I find it easy to decide which side ought to be heard."

In a "free country", I find that to be a rather horrifying statement.


On a forum, doof.
elfgrove wrote:
Oct. 27th, 2008 08:35 pm (UTC)
Re: Not just the Republicans
"On a forum, doof."

My what an educated and eloquent response. I shall have to gather myself.

Yes, we are on a forum. A forum to dicuss the current presidential elections in the USA, of course I find it sad that someone thinks hearing both sides is a bad thing or a waste of time. It is not as though it is an -- oh my -- a discussion forum.
brennakimi wrote:
Oct. 27th, 2008 08:36 pm (UTC)
Re: Not just the Republicans
Hearing the "other" side when it's mostly fabricated or, at best, misstated is more than a waste of time.
tamrinm wrote:
Oct. 28th, 2008 12:21 am (UTC)
Re: Not just the Republicans
Hearing the "other" side when it's mostly fabricated or, at best, misstated is more than a waste of time.

If you don't hear another side, you have no idea if your own has been fabricated or misstated.

Why are you here if all you want is to have everyone nod their heads at your point of view? That is not a discussion, and it is a waste of time.

Edited at 2008-10-28 12:22 am (UTC)
brennakimi wrote:
Oct. 28th, 2008 01:48 am (UTC)
Re: Not just the Republicans
I'm not here for head nodding. I'm here for finding links to interesting articles. However, some people seem to be here to perpetuate lies. They're wasting everyone's time.
tamrinm wrote:
Oct. 28th, 2008 12:19 am (UTC)
Re: Not just the Republicans
The problem is, just because both sides have a story doesn't mean they should both be described or heard. [...]I find it easy to decide which side ought to be heard."

In a "free country", I find that to be a rather horrifying statement.

On a forum, doof.


I'm sorry, your statement did not indicate that you felt only one side should be heard in a forum, but in general. But, for the sake of your argument I went to the User Info for this forum and found this statement.

The goal is to discuss various views of those within the United States, so we welcome any opinions or ideas you'd like to offer as comments or conversation.

When I joined this community I was excited to get involved in political discussions, but it did not really surprise me to find most of the posters having a Democrat bias. Yet, I did enjoy getting into the discussions knowing that my opinions wouldn't be widely accepted because I am a Republican. For the most part I have been able to get past the I hate you posts and actually enter into some good debates.

However, this is the first time I have felt like my opinion would be oppressed here. Thank you for not having an open mind.
( Comment )