?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry


On a lighter, art-ier note...

  • Oct. 15th, 2008 at 9:26 AM
views_livemint
Street art seems to have a new hero: Obama.  Not only are established artists (such as photographer Martin Schoeller and Obey artist Shepard Fairey) being inspired by the Democrats' hope, every Tom, Dick, and Sally at a street fair in San Francisco had their own take on the would-be prez, from macaroni magnets to stone leaf-shaped pendants praising Obama and every other house in Venice Beach has a creative take on Obama's photo. (See a good round up of some art at this blog here.)

Venice and SF are decidedly left-leaning, but I have trouble imagining an outpouring of art inspired by McCain (I'll ignore the rather mean-spirited comic interpretations of Palin for the sake of keeping it about the presidents here). 

Has Obama's cool-quotient given us a reenactment of Nixon v. Kennedy?  Or is the hipster/arty outpouring scaring off just-right-of-center republicans?

Comments

( Comment )
lifeismagic wrote:
Oct. 15th, 2008 05:02 pm (UTC)
i'm trying to remember if there was an art outpouring around clinton during his first election run. he was also in his 40s and courting the youth vote after twelve years of older republican presidents but i don't remember quite this much fervor. he had the cool thing going too, but i think there's a lot more emotion in this election because of the war, the extreme unpopularity of bush, the general environment of stress here since 9/11 ... the fervor on both sides is running high, but the artist vote does tend to lean left.

and obama's better looking. :)
polarisdib wrote:
Oct. 15th, 2008 05:14 pm (UTC)
I'm not seeing this as an issue of art, unless you call it Pop Art. Obama has a damn good product to sell, and its easier to capitalize on and imitate. Part of it is his personality, which is definitely more comfortable to the hipster mentality, but a lot of it is his "Hope" brand decals and patches that people are sewing onto clothing (What if he doesn't win? Are you going to just cut them off? Or are they like bumper stickers, ultimately becoming a symbol of what you wished had happened?). I'm actually really impressed with Obama marketing, he's definitely tapped into a consumer mentality.

I don't know much about cool-quotients of Nixon v. Kennedy, all I know is that Kennedy was young and hot in the eyes and mind of a generation. I don't really think people find Obama "hot", just comforting.

--DiB
pennyann wrote:
Oct. 15th, 2008 08:28 pm (UTC)
(What if he doesn't win? Are you going to just cut them off? Or are they like bumper stickers, ultimately becoming a symbol of what you wished had happened?).

I think they are not only a symbol of what we wish for (or if he didn't win, "wished" for... in the past tense) as you said, but I also think he has become a symbol just for Hope in general, much the way people like Martin Luther King Jr. and others became symbols.

I do agree that it is more Pop Art, but I disagree that he isn't "hot" as well as comforting. ;)
isara wrote:
Oct. 15th, 2008 11:39 pm (UTC)
Well, there's a whole group of us who do actually find him hot ;) We were just talking about it today.



rawr. hot.
pennyann wrote:
Oct. 16th, 2008 12:06 am (UTC)
Wow, there's someone I never pictured in a cowboy hat, but BOY do I like the effect on him! rawr indeed.
carmy_w wrote:
Oct. 15th, 2008 05:22 pm (UTC)
Just-right-of-center republican here
It hasn't scared me off!
And it won't; I've been voting against my party for the last three elections.
millenium_king wrote:
Oct. 15th, 2008 11:10 pm (UTC)
Re: Just-right-of-center republican here
Then how are you a Republican? And how are you right-of-center? Which of Obama's policies do you consider to be right-of-center like yours?
carmy_w wrote:
Oct. 16th, 2008 02:57 am (UTC)
Re: Just-right-of-center republican here
I am a registered Republican. I favor the (once upon a time)hands-off style of government that the Republican party used to support.
I also favor the hands off style of economics they used to support, up until I found out (after the wonderful sub-prime fiasco)the idiots repealed most of the rules put into place to stop another stock market crash. Those rules were put in place for a reason, and they should not have been repealed.
I don't like what the religious right has done to the R party; I don't like their anti-abortion stance, I don't like their attempts to push their religion in public schools. I think this damn war sucks. I think MUCH more money should be spent on getting our utilities, etc., back in good shape, instead of letting it all go to hell like the dykes in New Orleans.
On the other hand:
I honestly don't favor a public health care in the style such as Canada, but I do realize that with health care costs going mad, the ticket has to be picked up by somebody.
About 10 years ago, I suffered an ectopic pregnancy and had emergency surgery. I was unemployed at the time. Because it was due to a pregnancy, that surgery was covered by Medicaid/care. If it would have been a ruptured appendix,it would have cost as much or more, but would not have been covered, because it didn't involve a child or a mother. I think that situations like that should be covered, even if it doesn't involve a child/mother.
I am a firm believer in gun ownership. While I don't have a concealed carry permit myself, I support the right to carry, both concealed and in a holster right on the hip. I am also a firm believer in a strong military.
Now-whether this makes me a right-of-center, a left-of-center, a center; who knows? I just know that, while I still carry the Republican card, I don't find myself aligned with their party very much any more.
I know I'm much more left leaning/moderate than my boss, who is so square he turns up at the corners. I am also much more right leaning/moderate than my co-worker, who can't stand guns and won't have one in her house.
tyskkvinna wrote:
Oct. 15th, 2008 05:52 pm (UTC)
Obama does come off as being very "hip" - or, perhaps, as hip as somebody who is a lawyer running for president can possibly be. His face also generally translates well to pop art styles. The product he is selling is very appealing, and something that also translates well into pop art. Particularly on an international scale. McCain's slogan of "country first" is something that simply doesn't sell well abroad. Of course ultimately it doesn't matter if parties abroad like him since they're not voting, but Obama has gotten a lot of momentum in the art world from people who are never going to be able to vote for him.

credendovides wrote:
Oct. 15th, 2008 06:04 pm (UTC)
<joke>It's the school system. You can go to many universities and get a liberal art major, but how many have you seen offer a conservative art curriculum?</joke>
veganwrocker wrote:
Oct. 15th, 2008 06:52 pm (UTC)
Hee. Hee. Hee.
veganwrocker wrote:
Oct. 15th, 2008 06:53 pm (UTC)
I think that part of the reason (well, most of the reason) is that most enthusiastic Obama supporters tend to be younger, idealistic, artsy people, so we naturally have the urge to express ourselves through art.
pennyann wrote:
Oct. 15th, 2008 08:34 pm (UTC)
Street art, Pop art... these are fads inspired by many things about Barak Obama. Yes, his "cool-quotient" as you pointed out helps inspire this, but it is more than that. He speaks to crowds and leaves people in tears, or with goose bumps on their arms, and more than that, with hope for things to improve because someone is finally aiming hard at the "change" target.

He's not just cool, he is inspirational. He has become a symbol that goes beyond politics, his political party. Were just-right-of-center republicans scared off by the same kind of devotional art to Martin Luther King Jr.?

I think it is a little different than Nixon v. Kennedy (though comparable) because Barak Obama has become a symbol of more than just politics to a lot of people. Yes, part of that is marketing... but honestly part of it is just hearing him speak, reading his books, and letting him inspire you that better things can be on the horizon.
millenium_king wrote:
Oct. 15th, 2008 11:11 pm (UTC)
Artists
Artists have historically been left-of-center. I don't understand why everyone is so shocked to see the liberals supporting their own.
bossiballs wrote:
Oct. 16th, 2008 12:00 am (UTC)
The unsaid art-ier take doesnae fit into words.
For this individual, what is up is the whole recontextualisation
of Society.

It really is all about context itself.

The context has been put into words, they are: A world that works for everyone, with no one and no thing left out.

Kind of as with Jack Kennedy doing the we (you and me) judo, on the you or me schizm.

Its just being honest to goodness really. Having a mind rather than ones mind having one as a puppet.

Basically the inner felt and thaught truths, as distinct from the outer proffessional fundamentalists, seemingly eternal cynical manipulations
of same.

Just keeping it simple, and real.

Gnosis trumps belief, put succinctly.

Just pushing the boat out here: We are about to get on top of Governments,
like Governments just got on top of Bankers.

Being black is the new black. Still, (as always), absolutely nothing to do with surface considerations like colour of skin, race, creed, and all of that old hat.

The really subtle bit, is that that we is in all of us, whereas the
manipulative thing is a function of being other than whole, as one is.

We all know that.
( Comment )